Friday, May 27, 2011

My Music Speaks To The Soul: A Chat With Mezaih

By Chuks OLUIGBO

Simply known as Mezaih by his fans, Godwin Julius Madumere is no doubt a bright star on the rise. In this chat, the Aboh Mbaise, Imo State-born Hip Hop artiste talks about his foray into music, the journey so far, his dreams and aspirations, the Nigerian music industry, and much more.
Mezaih
How did you come about the stage name Mezaih?
You know, people bear different names. I just wanted a name that would be catchy, a name that would stick in people’s minds. After searching for a while, I felt that bearing a heavenly name will be preferable. That was how the name came to me.

Your own Mezaih, does it mean ‘messiah’ as we know it, as in saviour, like Jesus the Messiah?
Well, something like that. Messiah simply means saviour. That means that anybody can be a saviour. Anytime you save a soul, you are a messiah.

Does it mean then that your music is essentially about saving souls?
Of course yes. When you feel my music, it has meaning, it speaks to the soul. From what you can pick from my music, you can make something good out of your life and become a better person.

What made you go into music?
A whole lot of things, like the pioneers in the music industry, people like Fela. When I looked at what they were doing, I felt like I could do the same. Plus, I had a flair for music right from my childhood. I often found myself creating new raps from my head, and just freestyling. All of a sudden I started writing down lines of music, and from there I saw myself going to the studio to do some recordings. That’s how I got to where I am.

Professionally, when did you start doing music? And how did you start?
I started in the year 2000, with a group called The Creatives. We started gradually, and then did our first album called “Ishi Mgbaka”, which we launched in 2009. Even though the album didn’t really go far, we thank God that it gave us some exposure, like going to shows and meeting some marketers at Alaba.
  What happened to the group?
Nothing so serious. We just felt like we should break up and see what we can do individually. Then in due course, if there is any breakthrough from any one of us, we can still come back together and do something as a group. That was what really happened. So, I went solo in 2010.

What has been happening since you went solo?
Well, I’ve been trying to kinda repackage myself, do some fresh work and see what I can offer my fans because I know that many of my fans are looking up to me, even right from when I was a group artiste. They’ve been looking up to me, and they’ve been like: we know this guy is going to go places. And that has encouraged me to work harder so as to give them the best.

Do you have an album now?
Not yet, but I’m actually trying to put up an album. What I’ve got now are just some tracks that are not up to an album, but within the next couple of months, God willing, I will make up the album.

Essentially, what do you want to achieve with your music?
I want to achieve good goals. I want to go places with my career. I also want to touch lives with my music. But the challenges are enormous. So far it hasn’t been easy, but I’m believing God that things are gonna get better.

What inspires your music? What are the things you see around you that make you want to sing?
The things I feel inside me and the things that happen around me. When I go out, for instance, the people I encounter. And even my own life and experiences, and the things I foresee that are going to happen.

What brand of music do you play?
Principally, I am a Hip Hop artiste, but I am also versatile. I can do Reggae, R&B, and Highlife.

Looking at the Nigerian music scene today and what you are doing, what do you think are your prospects?
My prospects are certainly bright. I know it is not easy to penetrate the industry, but I also know that with determination, hard work and the grace of God, I will definitely get there.

Do you have musicians in Nigeria or elsewhere that you look up to?
Here in Nigeria, I look up to people like Tuface and P-Square, but outside Nigeria, I look up to Usher, and I hope to be like them some day.
  How would you rate the Nigerian music industry? How are the artistes doing?
They are doing really good. At least now many Nigerians no longer patronise foreign music. The Nigerian music industry is really growing. With what is happening now, the sky is certainly the starting point for Nigerian music.

What is your message for your fans, those who look up to you and are like: Hey, let’s see what this guy can do?
To my fans, I can only say let them believe Mezaih because Mezaih is coming with a bang. One love.

No comments:

Post a Comment